Welcome

Welcome to Mama G.'s Thoughts and Ramblings. I'm not sure how often I will be posting, but feel free to check on me occassionally. I'll be posting about things I find interesting, it may be something interesting I found during a Bible study, something one of my children has taught me or something about natural health and healing.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Jesus is in the Boat

     I don't know why I have had such a hard time being able to get this posted.  It has been rolling around in my brain for over a week, and every time I sit down to write, something comes up.  This is actually my thoughts based on a couple of sermons I have heard lately. 

     Many of us are familiar with the story when Jesus was asleep in the boat during a storm.  For those who are not familiar with it and as a reminder for the rest of us, here it is.

     On that day, when evening had come, he (Jesus) said to them, "Let us go across to the other side."  And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was.  And other boats were with him.  And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling.  But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion.  And they woke him and said to him, "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?"  And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!"  And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.  he said to them, "Why are you so afraid?  Have you still no faith?"  And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, "Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"

     The water that Jesus and his disciples were crossing was the Sea of Galilee, which to my understanding is more like a large lake.  It is surrounded by hills and mountains which can cause violent storms to occur very rapidly, with little or no warning.  The disciples were mostly fishermen by trade and were very familiar with these types of storms and knew the great danger.  They couldn't believe that Jesus could sleep while they were in such danger.  They asked him "Do you not care that we are perishing?"

     How many of us, when faced with a storm in life (an illness, financial crisis, a broken relationship), cry out to Jesus the same concern.  "Do you not care that I am perishing?"  Like the disciples, we don't seem to understand or grasp the fact that the God of the universe, who has authority over not only the wind and the sea, but over everything that touches us, is in the storm with us.  He has not left us to weather the storm alone. 

     How can we ask Jesus, "Do you not care that I am perishing?", when he cared enough to pay the price for our sins.  The price of sin, the cost of sin, or the wages of sin is death, an eternal separation from God.  How could we even begin to pay that price?  Jesus, although he was God, took the form of a man so that he could pay the price for us.  Jesus willingly went to the cross to take on the punishment for the sins of all mankind.  While on the cross, he cried, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"  I believe that it was at that moment, just before death, God the Father turned his back on Jesus because Jesus represented the sins of the world.  If he was willing to do take the punishment for our sins, how can we ask, "Do you not care that I am perishing?"

     If you are a Christian, you have the creator of the universe living inside of you.  You have Jesus Christ on your side.  No power of hell, no scheme of man, can ever  pluck you from His hand.  (In Christ Alone, Stuart Townend, Keith Getty).

     But it gets even better than that.  After he paid our debt on the cross, he was buried in a borrowed tomb and on the third day rose again.  We serve a risen Savior. 

     So whatever storm you are in, the God of the Universe cares for you and can calm the storm in your life.  He can, but as every parent knows, sometimes what is best for us is to go through the storm, so that we come out of on the other side stronger than when we went in.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment