Welcome

Welcome to Mama G.'s Thoughts and Ramblings. I'm not sure how often I will be posting, but feel free to check on me occassionally. I'll be posting about things I find interesting, it may be something interesting I found during a Bible study, something one of my children has taught me or something about natural health and healing.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tis the Season - For Allergies and Sinus Infections

Being a budding herbalist, several friends have asked me for help with sinus issues and infections.  Here's what I have shared with them.


Your pain is caused by the inflammation, which is caused by the sinus infection.  The sinus infection is caused by…? (this is where you have to be the detective and determine what is causing your irritaction) To treat the pain, one must first discover what is causing the pain and work your way back, until you trace the pain to its true source.  i.e. find what is causing the sinus congestion and avoid or remove the cause.  Sinus infections are caused by a build up of mucus.  The mucus is there to rid the body of toxins, so you need to find what toxins maybe building up in your system. This may be as simple as avoiding certain foods. (pasteurized dairy, refined flours, chocolate, eggs and fried and processed foods)  Until you can track that down though, here are a few things to help:

1.       Irrigate your sinuses – this is basically washing out your sinuses.  Wal-Mart carries neti pots.  A neti pot is used to pour water through the sinuses.  Yes, I know, if you’ve never tried it it is hard to imagine intentionally pouring water up your nose.  When done properly, it goes in one nostril and out the other, unless you are so plugged up it can’t make it through, but keep trying.
2.      Apple cider vinegar – take 1-2 Tbsp in water 3-4 times a day.  Look for non pasteurized ACV with the mother (floaty stuff) still in it.  Bragg makes a very good one.  This will help your body remove the toxins that the mucus is formed to remove from your body.
3.      I use an essential oil blend in hot water for steam inhalation.    It contains:  Eucalyptus, Thyme, Tea Tree, Peppermint and Hyssop essential oils.
4.      Garlic also fights infection and helps to drain sinuses.  Take 3-4 cloves 3 times a day.
5.      I also take a “Super Tonic” as well.  It contains: onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, horseradish and fresh ginger, all juiced and added to ACV.  Put 1 Tbsp. into water and drink.  It will clear your sinuses and reduce the chance of infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment